Dr. Nudrat Ejaz Piracha
Contact: +92 302 811 6868
- S.J.D. – The George Washington University Law School (before Committee consisting of Mr. Sean D. Murphy, Dean Rosa Celorio, Judge Charles N. Brower, and Mr. Stanimir A. Alexandrov) – (20162020)
- Master Class in Negotiation and Emerging Leaders – Harvard Law School – Leadership and Negotiation – (2018)
- Certificate, Emerging Leaders – Harvard Kennedy School – Leadership and Negotiation – (2018)
- Certificate, Human Rights in the Market Place, Advocacy of Human Rights – GW/Oxford Summer Program in International Human Rights Law – (2018)
- Certificate, Court-Annexed Mediations – UC Hasting, International ADR Center – 2018
- Certificate, Mediating Disputes – Harvard Law School – Program on Negotiations – (2017)
- LL.M. (International Business Law) – London School of Economics and Political Science – (2005)
- L.L.B – Punjab University – (2002)
- Senior Associate/Partner – Samdani & Qureshi (Law Firm) – (2002-2015)
- Legal Advisor – Infrastructure Project Development Facility, Ministry of Finance, Government of Pakistan (IPDF) – (2009-2010)
- Legal Advisor – National Tariff Commission, Ministry of Commerce, Pakistan (NTC) – (2006-2007)
- Solicitor-Advocate – Solicitor Regulation Authority, United Kingdom – (2014)
- Admitted to the Solicitor Roll – Solicitor Regulation Authority, United Kingdom – (2006)
- Admitted to Bar – Islamabad High Court – (2005)
- Admitted to Bar – Bar of Rawalpindi/Islamabad – (2003)
- Member, Pakistan High Court Bar Association.
- Life Member, Islamabad Bar Association.
- Solicitors Regulatory Authority, SolicitorAdvocate – England & Wales.
- Fulbright Scholar since 2015.
- Weinstein JAMS International Senior Fellow 2018.
- Ambassador of the IBA Asia Pacific Arbitration Group (APAG).
- Nominated by the Government of Pakistan as Arbitrator on the ICSID Panel of arbitrators.
- Serving on the panel of mediator of the International Court of Arbitration under the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Kyrgyz.
- Serving on the Panel of World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Member International Bar Association (IBA).
- Member Arbitral Women.
- Member International Law Association.
- Member American Society of International Law (ASIL)
- Country Representative for Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration.
- Member Institute of Transnational Arbitration.
- Country Reporter for Kluwer International Arbitration.
- Country Reporter for OGEMID
- Dissertation on Toward Uniformly Accepted Principles for Interpreting MFN Clauses: Striking a Better Balance between State Sovereignty and the Protection of Investors (To be published in 2021).
- Tethyan Copper Company Pty Limited v. the Islamic Republic of Pakistan – liability under a BIT despite domestic court’s findings of corruption and illegality, Blog, 2017.
- Updated all the cases and laws of Pakistan on the Kluwer website/ International Transnational Arbitration Website.
- The Award of the ICJ in the Kishan Ganga Dispute, Kluwer Blog, 2012.
- The Award in Riko Dik Case, Asia Pacific Forum, 2017.
- Case Reports on Pakistani case laws, Kluwer Arbitration, 2012.
- Reports on various arbitration and investmentrelated legislation of Pakistan, Kluwer Arbitration, 2012.
- Reports on various Bilateral Investment Treaties of Pakistan, Kluwer Arbitration, 2012.
Dr. Nudrat E. Piracha is a partner at Septentrio Global Consulting. In a career stretching over seventeen years, she worked as counsel in the field of ADR in arbitrations before ICSID, ICC, SCC, DFIC-LCIA, Ad Hoc tribunals, and rose to partnership at the leading Pakistani firm, Samdani & Qureshi. She is a Solicitor of England and Wales besides being a Member of the High Court Bar of Pakistan.
She was nominated to the panel of arbitrators of ICSID by Pakistan in 2018 and is presently serving as a member of an Ad Hoc Committee of ICSID in relation to annulment proceedings in a dispute between a British national and the State of Sri Lanka. She is also presently advising the government of Pakistan on improving the existing investment regime in the country, and working on important international law cases
She specializes in cross border transactions, foreign investment issues, international law, and ADR.
She has extensive experience and training in ADR, mediation, negotiation, and arbitrations from most prestigious universities and organizations.
As a senior fellow of JAMs, she has been trained by them and has attended mediations at JAMS with their panelists concerning commercial and employment dispute.
She is a Fulbright scholar, a Weinstein JAMS International Fellow for 2018, and the first lawyer from Pakistan to become a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK (FCIArb). She is the first woman in Pakistan to have qualified as an S.J.D. She is an alumna of the London School of Economics and Political Science.
EXPERIENCE IN ICSID PROCEEDINGS
- Member – Raymond Charles Eyre (British), Montrose Developments (Private) Limited (Sri Lanka) v. Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka) – Annulment Proceedings
- Counsel – Agility for Public Warehousing Company K.S.C. v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/8) – Arbitration
- Counsel – Bayindir Insaat Turizm Ticaret Ve Sanayi A.S. v. Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/03/29) – Arbitration
- Counsel – International Company for Railway Systems (ICRS) v. Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan (ICSID Case No. ARB/09/13) – Arbitration
EXPERIENCE IN ARBITRATION PROCEEDINGS
- Counsel – ICC Case regarding a dispute relating to the Jordan Light Rail System – Arbitration
- Counsel – ICC arbitration between a Turkish company and a German supplier – Arbitration
- Counsel – ICC arbitration relating to a petroleum concession in Pakistan – Arbitration
- Counsel – SCC arbitration relating to valuation of shares and matters of Competition law involving a Multinational Norwegian Company – Arbitration
- Counsel – SIAC Arbitration between Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited and Iflix relating to contractual disputes – Arbitration
- Counsel – A DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre (Dubai International Financial Centre) between Porsche and a Pakistani Company – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitration between the Government of Pakistan and an Italian firm, Astaldi – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitration between the Government of Pakistan and an Italian firm, PAVITO – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitration in Bayindir v Pakistan – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitrations Shaheen Pay Tv v. Telecom Foundation – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitrations Zahra v. National Telecommunications – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitrations Hakas v. National Highway Authority – Arbitration
- Counsel – Ad hoc arbitration National Logistic Cell v. National Highway Authority – Arbitration Counsel – Dispute before a DAB appointed by ICC in relation to a dispute between the Government of Jordan and Pakistani, Kuwaiti, Jordanian and Mauritian companies – Dispute Arbitration Board
EXPERIENCE IN WTO PROCEEDINGS
- Assistant to Panel Member – Assistance to a Panelist on the review board in Argentina v. United States of America (the “OCTG Case”) – WTO Disputes
- Legal Counsel at NTC – Anti-Dumping Investigations in Master Tiles against China – WTO Disputes
- Legal Counsel at NTC – Anti-Dumping Investigations in polyester filament yarn against the Republic of Indonesia, the Republic of Korea, and the Kingdom of Thailand – WTO Disputes
- Legal Counsel at NTC – Advising NTC on issues about various WTO agreements and applying trade remedy laws, e.g., antidumping, countervailing duties, and safeguard measures – Consultation
- Legal Counsel at NTC – Investigations by the NTC in imposing anti-dumping measures – Investigator
- Legal Counsel at NTC – Litigation between exporters/importers and the NTC – Litigation
EXPERIENCE IN PUBLIC PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS AND LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES
- Counsel – Developing a legal framework of the Jordan Light Rail System based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – Karachi Circular Rails based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – PSDP tourist village Project based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – PTDC Corporate Complex Project based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – CNG environmental friendly buses in Karachi and Islamabad based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – IT Park Project in Islamabad based on PPP model – Legal Consultation
- Counsel at IPDF – Review of procedures to conduct new shipper reviews under WTO laws for the NTC – Legal Consultation
- Counsel – Review of various bills proposed relating to ADR in Pakistan – Legal Consultation